August is National Breastfeeding Month! All month long, Humble Bee will be sharing loads of information on breastfeeding!
The decision on whether to use formula vs breastfeeding continues to be of great debate. We will let you be the judge to decide on which one works for you and your baby. Let’s do the breakdown, according to the American Pregnancy Association:
Team Breast Milk
- Breast milk is FREE!
- Passive immunity
- Perfect balance of vitamins & nutrients for your baby
- Easy digestion
- Infant determines the amount they want to consume
- The right content varies according to the milk production stage
- May requires the use of nursing bras, pads, breast pump
- Temperature is always right for you baby
- It’s always ready for consumption, no preparation time needed
- Skin-to-skin and breastfeeding latch releases bond-supporting oxytocin hormone
- Breastfeeding may be uncomfortable & painful for some
- Mother must be available for feeding if a pump is not utilized
- May be a substitute for moms who are not able to breastfeed their infants
- Absorption varies with formula and is not as easily digested as breast milk
- Nutritional content depends on proper preparation and the specific formula being used
- Infants may not tolerate formula leading to the baby having discomfort.
- The price of formula varies among brands and sizes.
- Requires additional equipment such as bottles, nipples, etc
- Preparation required and the right temperature to give to baby
- No passive immunity in formula
Which team are you? Breastmilk or Formula?
For team breast milk we recommend using Humble Bee Nurse Sling to give you a more comfortable breastfeeding experience.